Wednesday, November 21, 2012

THING # 20 - YouTube

Now here is something I can get into. You don't have to join YouTube to get access to their content. All you need is the link. I'm getting links to YouTube videos from friends all the time. I have a friend in Hawaii who sends me all the Table Tennis related links - the test videos of the new ball, table tennis tricks, and the latest, the history of table tennis from a BBC documentary. YouTube is a library of video - from the sublime to the ridiculous. There are clips that I have used in the past, like "Who's on First", clips that are current, and clips that you could use in the classroom. I've embedded the "Who's on First" just because it is such a classic and if you've never seen it before - YOU NEED TO!
YouTube for the teacher is a resource library unlike any other. I remember when I was in corporate training we used lots of videos to support our instruction. We had a video library - all in videotape - that took up a five shelf storage rack. If one of the videos didn't get put back in place you had to do without it. With YouTube - and the other video resource sites - all you have to do is type in a URL, turn up the sound, and you're ready to go. I know that there are sites that are more specific, but why bother? Searching for a video clip is so easy, linking is so simple, playing is a no brainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment