I think one of the drawbacks of modern technology is that it is so pervasive in our society. There is so much of it that it is almost impossible to keep track of it. When I read the description of Delicious, I was intrigued. I - like everyone else - bookmark the sites I use regularly. In my case it's not educational sites, it's all the various sites where I have to pay bills, manage utilities, keep track of credit cards, etc. They are all on my personal computer and bookmarking makes them easy to access. While I have been between homes for the last two weeks - and without Internet access or computer - it became apparent how convenient it would be to have an online bookmarking capability. Delicious looks like a really good idea.
It does do what I expected, but it is contains a lot more information than I need for a bookmark site. I don't need to know how many other people have looked at the site. The tags I guess have an application, but how I would use it escapes me. I know there are secure bookmark sites out there that just bookmark sites for you without doing all the extra social aspects that Delicious offers - I just haven't bothered to look for them.
I guess my problem is that I'm a computer curmudgeon. I use a computer all the time as a tool. The social aspects of the Internet, however, don't interest me at all. As far as the school environment, I can see setting up a set of approved sites for students to access using a tool like Delicious, but there are far simpler ways to do the same thing, without the potential risk of being hacked on the Internet.
No comments:
Post a Comment