Has anyone but me noticed how many things we are signing up for? Every exercise seems to require signing up for 2 or 3 web-based applications. After the course is over I'm going to have to spend a day cleaning house.
I chose my Yahoo home page as my customized start page. Since I already have it up and running - have for years - and I added RSS feds to it a while ago. It is completely customizable - you can move things around, add or remove items, get current news and weather. It also has a calendar, although I don't use it. I like the Yahoo page because it has as its mainstay an overview of current events. When I don't get a chance to see the evening news - like on school nights - this is how I stay in touch with what's going on in the world. Since it already is my homepage, I will keep it.
I looked at a couple of calendars - they're all pretty much the same - after all they're calendars. What else are they going to do? Make soup? I use my Iphone calendar to keep track of everything. That's why I don't use the Yahoo calendar. The same rationale goes for 30 boxes and Remember the Milk. I keep my appointments, meetings, reminders, to do lists all on my phone. So I just signed up for a bunch of stuff I won't use.
I definitely believe in using these kinds of applications. When I have senior moments, my phone is my savior. Most of these apps will link - or sync - to your phone, so if you want to have all that stuff in two or more places, go for it. My phone stays with me wherever I go, so I don't need the other apps.
As far as finding tools that I would use at school . . . If I don't use it for my personal life, I can't see why I would add duplicate functions for school use. Definitely use them - but I only need one.
No comments:
Post a Comment