Thursday, November 1, 2012

THING #15  -  Wikis

When I was living in Hawaii it struck me as odd that the name for a Wiki was the same as the Hawaiian word. It is one of those words that you see all over the place. The public transit is call Wiki Wiki and all sorts of convenience stores are called Wiki Wikis. The Hawaiians like to say a lot of things twice. It's a language thing.
 I have worked with Wikis before. I even had one for a while to stay in touch with my customers when I had my own business. I was not familiar with the idea of a sandbox. I looked at the sandbox link and saw pages from all sorts of people and from a long time ago. I tried editing one post, but, considering I didn't really have a reason for changing someone else's entry, I left it alone and created my own page, sharing a photo I found while exploring FLIKR.

I'm not sure the exercise was productive for me because it wasn't like an actual wiki response, where I would add to or correct something that someone else had posted.

I can see a value to wikis in the classroom. It is one more way of creating communication and interest within the classroom. Most of the classrooms I have seen, however, have very limited computer access and it is usually used simply as a platform for playing specific programs. Maybe in high school this would be more applicable.

No comments:

Post a Comment