Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thing #7 - FLIKR

Thing #7, Exploring Flikr.
We're supposed to explore Flikr. Well, I guess I'm just not impressed. It's like a lot of stuff on the Web - when you make it easy ans available to anyone with too much time on their hands, what you get is a lot of junk. I will admit there is a lot of good photography on Flikr - most of it professional. I thought they had in their agreement that you should not post your photos for professional reasons. Everywhere I explored I see copyrighted photos from professional photogs. The stuff that is not professional is amateur (not that that's a problem) and amateurish. It's stuff you wouldn't even bother buying a photo album for. But because it's free, it goes on Flikr.

I went looking for shots of pool and pool players because it is one of my passions. I learned after looking at a lot of swimming pools to search for billiards. Here in the US pocket billiards is called pool. Billiards in the rest of the world means (no pocket) traditional billiards or British Snooker. Anyway, after discarding all the copyrighted shots - the good ones - I found a shot of a snooker table at Trinity College in England that is just the most fantastic pool playing venue I have ever seen. It has some rights reserved - I have no idea what that means, but I was able to get a link for it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trinityunimelb/8031897431/

Well, that didn't work. It's a good URL to look at the picture, but I can't post it to the blog. Maybe it has something to do with "some rights reserved." The share tab on the photo allows you to look at a photo, but not to import it. So I don't know how to upload a photo to my blog!
I just cheated and took a screenshot. Let's see if this works. Credits to Trinity College via Getty Images.

The other thing I found is that, even when you use a tag to search, not all the images posted are related to the tag. My billiards tag stopped being billiards after about five pages and just became random photos.
I don't think I see a real application for Flikr in the classroom. There are lots of sources for images online and weeding through the files for something useable would waste valuable class time.

1 comment:

  1. You have a good opinion on Flikr. But it seem like you rant more then inform.

    ReplyDelete