Thursday, October 18, 2012

THING #11  Finding Good Feeds

Like with everything else out there, there is just too much information on the web. When I look at some of the blogs and I see a full time teacher, mother, homemaker who shows on her blog a list of blogs that she regularly visits - I assume she uses an RSS feed - and that list shows more than 150 different blogs - I just don't know where she finds the time. She says she reads "snippets" when she has free time. If you're checking feeds from 150 different blogs you'd better have a lot of free time. Quite frankly, I don't have the time to really do a credible search for what I think are good sites, whether they are blogs or information sites.
My impression of the professional sites like Topix and Technorati is that they are more into posting advertising and making a buck than they are about digesting information. I found it difficult to navigate around on those sites, and - admittedly not doing a real comprehensive search - most of what came up from searches was junk. I did a search on education and technology and ended up reading a series of posts from some women who are having an online battle about sharing their husbands and children. Why am I wasting my time?
I know from previous experience with online searches that there is good information out there if you have the discipline to search well. I teach my students the basics of online searches, and we're finding that, the more information there is available online, the harder it is to find it.
To summarize, my search for good feeds - new ones, not the same ones everyone else is using - drew a blank. Maybe when I have more time to devote to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment