Thursday, October 11, 2012

THING #8 - Mashups

We're looking at some of the mashups available that make use of Flikr's API (Application Programming Interface). I think if you are really into FLIKR, having all your photos online and out there for everyone - or no one - to see, then these various combined programs make sense. I explored an app called BUBBLR, developed by someone called PIMPAMPUM. Yeah, I wouldn't use my name either! It is a site that allows you to choose images, arrange them into a comic-strip like arrangement, and attach dialog bubbles to the characters. Kind of cute, the sort of thing you might do if you like scrapbooking or anything like it.
Let's see if I can attach my strip to the blog. Here's the link to the site:  CLICK HERE.

To be honest, I can see an exercise in the classroom where students load pictures of project results, or science experiments, or some such into FLIKR and then use a mashup to do something with it. It would be a fun group exercise, but would have to be very carefully controlled. I'm not sure what educational value I could ascribe to it, however. I believe that technology is a tool and that students should be taught to use computers (and similar technology such as Ipods and Ipads) for productive uses, not for time-wasting exercises such as putting your photos on a website. I may be a grinch and old-school, but I'm not sure whether I would waste valuable class time playing on FLIKR.

No comments:

Post a Comment