Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thing #6 - Craigslist

THING #6 - DID YOU KNOW CRAIGSLIST WAS A WEB 2.0 TOOL?

I looked through the list of all the Web 2.0 tools and only recognized about two thirds of them. A lot of them were social media sites that I have no interest in, and a good number were what I consider the basic tools of any computer user. I mean - Yahoo, Firefox, gmail, Google, Wikipedia - how basic can you get! Then I saw Craigslist. I've been using Craigslist for years to buy and sell things. When you move as often as I have, you have to have a means of getting rid of the excess.

I spent some time looking at the site in more detail - beyond the buying and selling locations. I was surprised at what else is there. I don't know if all of it has always been there or if a lot of community-related content was created after the bad press of the Craigslist Killer a few years ago. There are community bulletin boards, local activities, political resources, rideshare postings. Everything is localized to your own town or locale. I can't imaging how much memory capability Craigslist must have to be able to carry local content for communities around the country and a lot of international countries as well. Truly amazing!!

You can buy a lawnmower, find a lover (or partner), hire a painter or gardener, have a discussion on any topic you can think of, sell your old washing machine, find almost any kind of job in dozens of fields, find a vacation time share or swap . . . I mean, it goes on and on and on. It even has its own search engine if you don't see what you want. There is certainly more to Craigslist than selling your old tools. Just don't expect the people that use the site to be able to spell.

1 comment:

  1. My own comment. This was supposed to be Thing # 6. I did two #5s.
    Dummy!!

    ReplyDelete