THING # 12 Google Stuff
Of course, we all know that Google is more than just a search engine. That's what most of us use it for. But Google, like Apple wants to create an entire system of interrelated products. I tried out Google Alerts for the first time. It works amazingly well, considering how simple it is to use. If there is a downside, it is the same as I have said in previous posts - information overload. The search screen only allows you to conduct a limited search, without mush ability to refine the search. The result is that you are going to get more alerts than you can handle and end up shutting it down. If it were possible (maybe through some kind of advanced search) to limit the info coming in, I would be much happier with it.
I also looked at the Google Calendar. With the wealth of smartphones and other scheduling tools, Google is trying to get into a very crowded market. The calendar aspect of this app is nothing new. What is interesting is the ability to share schedules with others. We used a software like this in a company I worked for many years ago. Everyone in the department kept their work schedule, travel plans, meetings, etc. on the software, and whenever we tried to schedule a meeting or training session, we could tell exactly who was available. It could also search for maximum available times.
I can see some limited use for teachers in a school, but normally everyone runs on pretty much the same schedule. The Google Alerts, however, would be an interesting search tool, especially for younger users who might get frustrated at the work involved in an online search. Set up the alert, let Google do the work, and let the kids enjoy the results. I may try it in class.
BTW, there are many other Google tools beyond what was presented in Thing 12. Google Sketchup is a good example of a surprisingly sophisticated 3D drawing program that even a child can use. Of course, it takes some experience to get proficient, but simple drawings are very easy to create. Google Sketchup is free, with good online tutorials, and also offers a for fee professional-level program.
No comments:
Post a Comment