Thursday, September 6, 2012

THING #1 LIFELONG LEARNING

The concept of lifelong learning was not a new one for me. I have always been one who searched out answers, whenever something tickled my fancy. It has not necessarily been formal education, although I have attended six different universities, for different reasons and lengths of time. I just like to know things. My wife says I'm a know-it-all, and I'm not sure she means it positively.
Some of the 7 1/2 habits were almost automatic for me, and others made me think a little more. The idea of beginning with the end in mind did not fit me. I'm a sporadic and not necessarily organized learner when I go looking for something. Seeing problems as challenges was not a problem. Guys are fixers, so seeing a problem as something that needs to be fixed (or discovered) comes naturally. The learning toolbox idea made me feel guilty because I know my toolbox is out of date. I'm a woodworker and I love hand tools. My learning tools also tend to be basic. I have resisted all the social media and communication tools. I actually started a blog once, several years ago for my business, but never got it running. This blog is actually based on that registration. As a result, the next habit, using technology to your advantage, is a weak one for me. Which is really strange since I am a technology teacher. I just don't teach that stuff!!! The last habit - teaching/mentoring others - is easy for me . I've been a teacher/trainer/coach my entire life and my greatest love is sharing what I know.
All in all, the 71/2 habits was a positive read - even without any credit to Steven Covey.

No comments:

Post a Comment